Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rustic still life

Here is the 3rd still life I did in class this semester. I haven't posted the second one yet, but that will happen soon. I still need to work on it, so consider this the before picture. I painted this in oil on a canvas panel. It is a random compilation of object my class set up, but they work well together. I had the hardest time with the goblet with painting a correct eclipse in perspective. Despite the difficulty, I really enjoyed painting the bottle. Since I have started art, I have been doing better at them.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

3 bottles and a bust

Here is my first still life of the semester. It is done with oil paint on canvas. I spent about 3 class periods on it and I learned a lot about how to make a composition as well as how to paint glass. It is more difficult than it should be.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

figure study

I did this figure study in oil paint in class for Illustration 2 with the help of my professor Brother Barrett. I learned a lot about how to paint flesh tones and not make the figure look "chalky" (adding too much white paint). I learned that you need to paint more from a designer view point rather than just copying what you see. It is not as easy as you would think. You have to paint the figure in reds and yellows as well as other colors you normally would not see by just copying.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Basic color studies

In my illustration class we were learning more about color and how it reflects in its environment. This is an oil painting of an orange with different color walls and floor to observe how light and color interact on each other. I found that the most interesting interaction is on the right side of the orange, the red wall is throwing color into the orange creating a mixed color.

I made this box box out of another box to make it the perfect size. Then I put it in the colorful setting to further my understanding of how light and color interact with my box. It was fun to see that the red is reflected up into the bottom of the box and the yellow is on the side and top of the white of the box. When I started this project I thought it was going to be easy since the object is angular, but in reality that was the toughest part for me, was correcting my perspective of the box in a real space.